Monday, January 14, 2013

How I Do It: Hand Care

Happy Monday everyone!


Welcome to the second post in my "How To" series. This time I want to talk about hand care. I don't want just my nails to look nice and healthy, but taking good care of my hands in general is important to me. I have sensitve skin plus I work in a laboratory, where I have to wear gloves most time of the day. This plus washing my hands quite often and environmental influences stress the skin on my hands. In order for them to be healthy and happy, I need to pamper them regularly. So in this post I want to share with you my tips and products for happy hands :)
First of all, I put on gloves whenever my hands will be exposed to a lot of water or harsh chemicals, as during washing the dishes for example. Especially during cold Winter days I like to wear mittens, as the cold is really drying on my skin.

I know people recommend protecting your hands from the sun just like you would your face. Protecting your hands from the sun will prevent premature aging and age spots. Honestly, I've neglected my hands a bit when it comes to sunscreen. I've only just recently discovered a hand cream with SPF (Balea Anti-Age Handcream). Surprisingly, most hand creams from the drugstore here do not have any SPF. I could of course use a regular sunscreen, but those I find too greasy. So I'd happily take recommendations for moisturizers with SPF :)

To help keep my skin fresh and glowy, I exfoliate regularly (once every fortnight). I really liked the Magic Manicure hand scrub by Alessandro. It is a mixture of coarse sea salt, natural oils and vitamins that you have to mix before use and then just scrub your hands with it for a minute. It left my hands super soft and moisturized, but it is pretty pricey. You also have to rub it in carefully, as the salt is really coarse. Nowadays I prefer finer scrubs, like the Avoplex Hand & Body Scrub from OPI. If you don't want to invest in a special hand scrub, you might as well use your facial exfoliant. I would not recommend a regular body scrub, again because the grains are very rough.


For my hand care regime, moisturizing is crucial. I have several tubes of lotion lying around at home and at work and I always take one with me in my purse. I moisturize at least four times a day, even more often at work, because wearing gloves and washing my hands dries out my skin. During daytime, I like using a light, fast-absorbing lotion. My favorite is from the drugstore, by a natural cosmetics company called Lavera


After seeing so many people raving about it, I recently bought a tube of Soap And Glory's Hand Food. I haven't been using it long enough to really review it, but so far I like it. It smells good, absorbs fast and hydrates my skin. With 9,95€ for 125ml it isn't the cheapest option, though.


For nighttime I prefer a richer, more oil-based hand cream. One product I've been loving for years is Lush's Handy Gurugu. It is a thick creamy moisturizer stuffed with shea butter. I apply a generous amount before I go to sleep and let it soak in over night.


Another lotion I've been using for quite a while is the Gardeners Rejuvenating Hand Remedy by Crabtree & Evelyn. It is not as thick and creamy as Handy Gurugu, but does a great job at moisurizing my hands. When I wake up, I have soft and hydrated skin.


When applying lotion I like to give myself a little hand massage. I simply work my palm first and then every finger from base to top. I do this once a day, mostly in the evening. This will help the muscles in your hands relax, improve blood circulation and nourishes then skin. Plus it just feels good ;)

That is all I do to keep my hands happy. I hope it was informative and helpful for you.
Thanks for reading, have a great day!
<3 Sabine