Slideshow Widget

Recap: My favorite nail polishes 2012

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Happy Sunday peeps!

The year 2012 is about to end pretty soon, but before this year is over, I want to share with you some of my most loved nail polishes in 2012. They weren't all released this year, but I got them in 2012, so for me that counts ;) I had a hard time narrowing it down to a reasonable number, so I decided to devide these pictures into two posts. Today I have for you my 12 top picks in nail polishes and tomorrow I am going to show you my top 5 nail art designs I liked most this year.
For more pics and info, read on after the jump (better grab a cup of coffee, this might take a little longer!).

First up is Aruba Blue by Essie. I was literally jumping up and down when I heard that Essie teamed up with a drugstore here in Germany, so we could finally get our hands on this brand more easily and to a more reasonable price. Aruba Blue was one of the very first Essies I bought here in Germany and it is one of my most loved blues ever.


2012 also was the year of the release of independent nail polish brands. The market literally exploded, as everyone seemed to create their own nail polishes and selling them on Etsy or opening their own stores. A-England is one of those independent nail polish brands that clearly stood out from the crowd for me. The whole The Legends collection is just to die for, I love the colors and the quality of these polishes. Representing my love for the collection is Dragon, a pretty mossy green with a subtle holo effect.


Speaking of indies, Floam by Nail-Venturous (now by Ninja Polish) made the whole nail polish community go crazy. Everyone was lusting after this neon matte glitter polish and it sold out in a blink whenever it was restocked. I was lucky enough to grab a bottle back then and it has quickly become my favorite glitter of 2012.


Another polish I have been lusting after for a whole while was Frostbite by China Glaze. It is one of those shimmery bright "in your face" blues that I love so much. When I went to NYC in late April this year, I finally picked this up at Ulta. This polish will always remind me of this awesome trip :)


Another China Glaze polish has made it to my top 12 for 2012. Gothic Lolita was released as part of the Electropop Spring collection and this shimmery purple is my favorite from the collection.


Manhattan is a brand that I don't normally pay a lot of attention to when I shop at the drugstore. Their nail polish range consists of mainly boring colors and also their quality never really sweeped me off my feet. But then the brand teamed up with several fashion bloggers to create a limited edition called Styleproofed. Sadly, most of the colors were rather boring again, but Green Chai stood out from all the rest. It is a lovely multi-colored glitter in a pastel mint green base, which makes it a very unique color.


Nubar is one of those brands that doesn't get enough love in my opinion. I have only about 10 of their polishes I admit, but I really love their finishes and the quality. Their Sparkles collection, which was released back in 2010, reminds me of the current Liquid Sand finish from OPI. They leave a slightly gritty, but very sparkly finish on the nails. The only downside is their hunger for topcoat if you want to get a smooth surface. Being the blue-lover that I am, Night Sparkle is my favorite of the 8 Sparkles.


As China Glaze is my favorite major brand, it is no surprise that a third one made it to my top picks for 2012 :) This is Riveting from the Hunger Games/Capitol Colors collection (with a gradient of Essence Gold Fever on top). I love China Glaze for their glass fleck polishes and combined with this bright orange base and a flawless formula, Riveting is perfection for me.


A recent set of polishes that has quickly won over my heart is the Ninja Polish Holiday 2012 collection. I just love every single one of the 10 shades and it is so hard to pick just one as a favorite. So Sapphire Dreams and Shattered Star made it to my top picks, representing the whole Holiday collection ;) I definitely recommend checking these out if you like glitter!


The next favorite 2012 polish I want to show you caused havoc and drama among the nail polish community. Cover Band's Sticks 'n Stones is a close (but not a dead-on) dupe for a Lynnderalla polish with the exact same name. I don't want to go into detail as I am sure you have heard about it. Still I am not ashamed of admitting that I bought this polish and I really really love it! Here it is layered over Essence Mojito Green.





Another indie polish maker that I love is Dolly, the person behind the brand Dollish Polish. When she released a glittery polish called Team Salvatore, I knew I needed this in my stash. Not only because I like the combination of red, black and silver glitter, but also because I am a fan of the Vampire Diaries (and I am not ashamed of admitting that, either ;) ). Here it is over Catrice Bloody Mary To Go and NfuOh 132.


The Answer Is Love by the brand ANNY is actually a dupe for OPI Every Month Is Oktoberfest. If you cannot get the OPI version or don't want to pay the ridiculous German price tag, The Answer Is Love is a great alternative!

Last but not least I have Toxic Seaweed by Cult Nails to share with you. This year I placed my very first order over at Cult Nails, mainly because I wanted this limited edition shade. Here I layered it over British Racing Green by Butter London. Isn't it pretty with the golden glitter and the multichrome flakies?!


I hope you enjoyed this little recap of my favorite polishes for this year. Let me know in the comments what is your must-have or go-to nail polish for the year 2012?!
Have a great day and come back for my favorite nail art designs of 2012 tomorrow!
<3 Sabine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...