Sunday, March 04, 2012

Nerd Lacquer - Quasar or My new love for indie brands

Happy Sunday everyone!

Today I have for you the very first independent nail polish brand on my blog! It seems like those Franken polishes are becoming more and more popular - just think of Lynnderella polishes which create havoc among nail polish lovers and sell out in the blink of an eye whenever they're put online. I have to admit I would like to own and try some of her awesome glitter polishes, too but so far I it is too much of a hassle for me to order them. Since I am residing in Germany I don't want to get up in the middle of the night just to try to get some. Instead I found several alternatives which are just as pretty, cheaper and much easier to get. Oh well, maybe alternative isn't the right word as I don't consider those other indie brands "second choice". They all have their own concept and don't aim to copy Lynn's idea.
I can't exactly remember how or where but I stumbled upon Nerd Lacquer polishes a while ago and fell in love immediatly! I don't consider myself a nerd *lol* but as a scientist I just gotta love the names and themes of those glittery polishes and of course the way they look. The first one I tried is Quasar, which is a dark green stuffed with all sorts of glitter, but see for yourself :)





I can't find better words to describe Quasar than Amanda - the creator of Nerd Lacquers - herself so here is what she says about this polish:

" QUASAR is a blackened pine green with holly green and silver glitter, olive and chartreuse microglitter, small and medium emerald hexagonal glitter, and generously spiked with fine and ultrafine holographic sparkles (which my camera is completely incapable of capturing). Totally opaque in two coats, or great as an accent coat! Definitely not rough or lumpy, but these *are* loaded with glitter, so they look their glossy best if you’re heavy with the top coat."

I don't think there is anything more I can add to her description, except for me applying three thin coats to get it completely opaque. Application was great, not thick or runny at all and it was easy to control so I didn't have a lot of cleanup to do (which can be pretty annoying with glitter polishes). I applied two coats of topcoat and still the surface wasn't completly smooth but I didn't mind as Quasar still sparkles like crazy in direct light!

Nerd Lacquers can be directly purchased from Amanda's Etsy Store when it is open or from Harlow & Co, where I got mine from. A 15ml bottle retails for $10 each and Harlow & Co offers free shipping for orders over $50. Both stores ship internationally. 

So if you like unique glitter polishes I recommend checking out those Nerds ;)

Thanks for stopping by and have a great Sunday,
- Sabine